Shadow Realms
LARPing near Barrie, Ontario
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is this Bacchus anymore? Or was it ever?
PostPosted: September 1st, 2013, 11:42 pm 
Adventurer

A Bacchian priest stood before his students and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and
empty glass jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the priest then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas
between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The priest next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar
was full. The students responded with an unanimous "Yes."

The priest then produced two skins of beer from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty
space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the priest, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The rocks are the important things - your family, your children, your health, your friends, your favorite passions - things that if everything
else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your craft, your house, your wagon. The sand is everything else - the small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first", he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for life. If you spend all
your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are
critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to tend to your health. Take your loved ones out to festivals. There will always
be time to clean the house, and fix the curtains. Take care of the rocks first, the things that really matter. Set your priorities.The rest is just sand."

When he had finished, there was a profound silence. Then one of the students raised her hand and with a puzzled expression, inquired what the
beer represented.

The priest smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of
beers."

Post subject: Re: Is this Bacchus anymore? Or was it ever?
PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 12:06 pm 
Adventurer

I know this is not my place, nor is it my faith, but I would like to add a little something I have heard.

When I was first learning my crafts, the local wise men were my teachers, and they were old, patient, slow men. I, on the other hand, was an impatient, snippy, ignorant child.
One day I was being shown how to slow someones bleeding for the millionth time when I threw down the bandage and exclaimed that I was done, that the practicing was pointless as I had already mastered the skill. I demanded to be shown the more complex practices immediately, proclaiming that I was more than ready and upset that none of my teachers could see that.
The wise man simply continued to wrap the man's leg he was fixing, than moved over to continue the job I had abandoned on a young woman's shoulder. He simply continued, slowly and carefully, wrapping and wrapping while I stood there, shaking with rage and impedance.
Finally I had had enough, and I struck the man on the jaw. He did not flinch, and did not stop his work, though the patients were rather startled and outraged.
When he was done he turned to me and asked "How did you get here?" I responded that I had traveled many miles and many days to be here, and did not want to waist any more time with silly things.
He shook his head slowly and again asked "How did you get here?" So I responded with more detail, explaining my journey in more detail and expanding on my travels.
Once again he shook his head and said "You think you are special because you went through trials. You think you know the way and that there is no other option." He than gestured to the rest of the village, a wonderful mix of races and genders, creeds and faiths. "Do you think they all followed your path? Do you think they all went through your trials and troubles before they reached this place? Do you think they will continue down the same path as you will when you leave this place? Everyone has their road to travel, and they all have their story to tell. No one path is more correct then the other, and no one journey through life is more worthy than another. When you truly understand the meaning behind this, you will be ready to learn"
With that, he turned and left. I did not speak to that wise man for a whole year, but when I did, I had learned more about the roads we all walk, and was honored to be a part of his.
We must trust that those around us have their own roads, and that if we must, we can only help them along the road. We can not walk it for them.
Sorry if this is to long or not Bacchian enough, but we are cousins, so I hope there is still something here for you.