Shadow Realms
LARPing near Barrie, Ontario
It is currently April 26th, 2018, 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The different types of arrows
PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 2:58 am 
Adventurer

Fellow archers (and fellow targets), I have a question for you! What style of arrow do you prefer to shoot and get shot at with?

The traditional duct tape boffer arrow? The "Marshmallow" head arrow? Or the round latex IDV arrows?

The IDV arrows pack quite a punch even at half draw but fly well, are very safe, and can stand being stepped on.

The boffer heads, while not AS safe and can still pack a punch, are much easier to produce and provided they are made well seem to do less damage to their target

As for the marshmallow heads I have no clue since I have no experience with them, but they seem like they could be about as easy to produce as the regular boffer ones or obviously you could purchase them like the IDV, and I imagine would hurt less since they do not have the duct tape covering them. Downside being the foam could and would get damaged much easier.

Pictures of each:

Marshmallow Image

IDV Latex Image

Boffer Image

Post subject: Re: The different types of arrows
PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 9:50 am 
Adventurer

I prefer the latex ones and fly the straightest.
Boffer ones deteriorate and DO NEED TO BE SAFETYED ALOT.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 10:14 am 
General Management

I'd also go with purchased arrows. Purchased open foam or latex ends are fine.

I personally like the one that shows foam like the first picture you displayed because it will be easier to find your arrows after firing. You can also find glow in the dark ones that should help too. The Marshmallow arrows I also never heard of folks complaining about them being painful, or hard to shoot. But I think it'll be fairly negligible regardless of boffer-arrow-type.

Home made arrows can fly well if you are diligent in crafting them, but they get safety-d a lot on account of them being the most dangerous boffer if made incorrectly. If someone leaves the arrowhead on, that can be life-threatening.

The other benefit to purchased ones (I believe particularly if you buy through a vendor), is if it becomes damaged beyond natural wear and tear (so you step on it and it becomes permanently bent, etc.) you might be able to actually get an exchange for a new arrow instead of throwing it out and buying a new one.

The obvious downside is cost, but they are fairly comparable when you take into consideration longevity and upkeep costs.

((OOG: Amy Kipping, General Manager))

PostPosted: April 16th, 2015, 1:01 pm 
General Management

I'll agree with Amy on this one. The time and skill required to make a quality boffer arrow that will consistently pass safety and fly well is high enough that it is much simpler to buy latex or marshmallow arrows. Regarding the durability of the marshmallow arrows, spraying the foam tips with silicone waterproofing sealant (like for boots) will help extend their lifespan quite a bit without impacting their safety or flight pattern (assuming you apply the spray evenly of course!)